Dishonesty in business has reached epidemic proportions. In many companies losses due to fraud in excess of five percent of the gross turnover are planned for. The burgeoning explosion of corporate fraud has inflicted havoc on the business community. Corporate fraud can be one of the most lucrative forms of white collar crime. Most businesses lose money through theft – and “fraud” is just another word for theft. These losses are often difficult to detect, since the people responsible for the fraud are taking steps to conceal their activities.
If a corporation suspects internal fraud, embezzlement or any other form of corruption, Wolff Ardis, P.C. can assist the institution in investigating the suspicions by conducting document examinations, employee interviews, and audits. Wolff Ardis, P.C. is often called upon by members of the business community to undertake the investigation and litigation of corporate or institutional fraud.
Corporate fraud can occur in many situations:
– A business may commit a fraud against another business or misrepresent facts. This situation could arise in a vendor-to-business relationship or in a specific transaction such as a sale or merger.
– A business may make false representations in the sale of a business or franchise.
– Financial fraud, which includes forgery, wire fraud, or conversion or misappropriation of funds.
– Fraudulent advertising or marketing.
– Mortgage fraud, including fraudulent offers to service a mortgage.
– Real estate fraud, which includes false representations regarding ownership of property or failure to disclose problems in a title.
Wolff Ardis, P.C.’s experience in this area encompasses:
- fraud and forgery within major banking and financial institutions,
- fraud and bribery within the garment manufacturing industry,
- equipment lease fraud,
- fraud in the securities market, and
- fraud in the commercial sector from the misappropriation of funds and company property as a result of directors benefiting themselves at the expense of their company.
Wolff Ardis, P.C. is experienced in conducting fraud investigations. We retain the services of forensic accountants, fraud examiners, and other experts in the field of fraud investigation. Wolff Ardis, P.C. is also experienced in pursuing insurance claims which can lead to recovery of fraud losses. Members of Wolff Ardis, P.C. have participated in obtaining recoveries and/or judgments of over $130 million for clients who have been the victims of corporate or institutional fraud through bond claims and related litigation.
Wolff Ardis, P.C. has studied dishonest individuals and has learned that the essence of fraud is that the innocent do not suspect. The lawyers of Wolff Ardis, P.C. will not only work with you to recover your losses, we will also work with you to understand what systems and controls should be instituted to assure the fraud does not happen again.
Lawyers with Wolff Ardis, P.C. have conducted seminars teaching bankers, representatives of the FDIC, risk managers, and others how to look for and prevent insider fraud. Patrick M. Ardis has written two books on corporate and institutional fraud: Bad Lies in Business and Risk Management: Computers, Fraud and Insurance.
If you or your business has been the victim of corporate or institutional fraud, the lawyers of Wolff Ardis, P.C. are uniquely qualified to assist you.